Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. –Colossians 3:2 NLT
We live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people. You and I are included in these imperfect people. This imperfection can cause anxiety in a believer’s mind filling it with doubts and fears about the future.
Instead, we should think about things from the perspective found in Philippians 4:8 (NIV), which says, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” This verse encourages us to only think about things that are:
- True – Basing one’s life on the reality of God’s Word
- Noble – Honest and worthy of respect
- Right – A moral sense of fairness
- Lovely – Expressing sincere love and beauty to others
- Admirable –Having a positive reputation
It will take discipline but remember that our mind is powerful, and our thoughts shape our lives. We must try to consciously direct our thinking and how we perceive what we hear in a world filled with turmoil. We were created in God’s image, filled with love and grace. Let us change our mindsets and experience peace in return.
1) Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you take negative thoughts captive.
2) Ask God to help you find your rest in His words.