May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. –2 Corinthians 13:14 NLT
Christians believe in the Trinity. The word “trinity” came from the Latin language—“tri” means three and “unity” means oneness. In essence, God is Three in One.
He is three distinct individuals in one true God—God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Humans are a tri-unity consisting of body, soul, and spirit.
• Our body is world-consciousness and relates to the environment through the five senses. It’s perishable. However, when Christ returns, believers will receive resurrected, spiritual bodies (1 Corinthians 15:53).
• Our soul—mind, will, and emotions—is self-consciousness and relates to others. Our soul is who we are, and it’s imperishable. The believer’s soul undergoes a continual transformation. The soul and the spirit are attached but separable (Hebrews 4:12).
• Our spirit is God-consciousness and connects to Him through the Living Word, the Holy Spirit, discernment, knowledge, sensitivity, and inspiration. Once God’s Holy Spirit indwells us, we become spiritually alive. God’s Spirit motivates our soul and spirit toward godliness and Christlikeness.
God created us to be in His likeness. “May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 5:23 ESV).
1. Thank God for choosing to reveal Himself to you in His full divinity as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you grasp how your body, soul, and spirit is being transformed for Heaven when Christ returns.